Zoom has released the latest version of the H5 handheld recorder, its high-fidelity line of portable audio and video products.
With flagship products last yearH6 Similarly, H5 uses a replaceable capacitive chamber system that allows the corresponding microphone to be used in the appropriate environment. In addition, fully compatible with all Zoom input capacitor compartments, the H5 also comes with a new X/Y stereo capacitor compartment that is shock absorbing to reduce hand-held noise.
The H5 provides four tracks of simultaneous recording and, like our flagship H6, it can use all Zoom interchangeable input capsules, allowing you to choose the best microphone for every recording situation. The flexible and powerful H5 provides everything you need to create multitrack recordings, Audio for video, and state-of-the-art podcasting, broadcasting and electronic newsgathering.
Features at a glance
- Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Includes detachable X/Y capsule (XYH-5) with extended signal capacity and shockmounted mics for reduced handling noise
- Compatible with all Zoom input capsules
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Large backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
- Analog-style gain controls for each input
- Protective “roll-bar” type covers prevent accidental movement of gain controls
- Plug-in power (2.5 volts)
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression and limiting
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
- MS decoding
- Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
- Normalize, Divide and Trim editing
- Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
- A/B loop playback
- Variable playback speed and variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad with loop back function
- Mountable to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-01 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
- Uses two standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 15 hours of operation with alkaline batteries
If you need more inputs, simply plug in the optional EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule. It allows you to connect two additional discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers or portable music players, turning the H5 into a four input recorder and making the H6 the smallest six input recorder on the planet!
The XYH-6 capsule employs two angled high-quality unidirectional mics which are sensitive to signals coming from the front but less to signals coming from the sides and rear. X/Y recording is optimum when you want to cover a wide area yet still capture a strong center image, making it the perfect choice for all types of live stereo recording.
Welcome to “Mid-Side” recording, a whole new level of precision in your ability to shape sound. The MS Capsule contains dual mic elements – a forward-facing, unidirectional mic (the “Mid”) and a side-facing, bi -directional mic (the “Side”). Together with the onboard MS decoder provided by the H5 and H6, they capture a fully mono-compatible stereo image that can actually be adjusted after recording – ideal for film, video, and television projects.
GH-6 Shotgun capsule adds a professional-quality hyperdirectional (that is, highly directional) microphone to the H5 and the H6, making it the perfect audio recorder for anyone working in film, video or live theater, or for ENG (electronic news gathering ) applications.
- RCH-5 wired Remote Controller
- AD-17 USB-type AC adapter
- Hairy Windscreen